Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Trip Begins


Well, I am heading to Florida on Thursday to begin documenting the rollout and launch of the new Ares 1-X Rocket from the Kennedy Space Center's 39B launch pad. I am a photographer who has been documenting historic space launch facilities around the United States for over 20 years. You can view some of these images at my website, RolandMiller.com .

There has not been a new "manned" (pardon the sexist reference) space launch vehicle launched since the first Space Shuttle mission in 1981. This launch is an unmanned test of the first stage of the rocket -a single, modified Space Shuttle solid rocket booster with five segments instead of the shuttle version's four configuration. In the Ares I-X, the fifth segment is inert. The payload is referred to as "shape and weight" relative to the actual capsule and vehicle.

I'll be blogging the work I do and the experiences I have on this excursion.


No comments:

Post a Comment